Vatteppam is kerala style steamed rice cake and its one of the traditional Kerala snack. It’s made with a soft and fluffy texture, made with rice flour, coconut and jaggery. Its popular in Kerala Christian community.
- Raw rice 1 1/2 cup
- Grated coconut 1 1/2 cup
- Jaggery 1 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
- Cardamom power 1/2 tsp
- Cashew nuts
- Yeast 1/2 tsp
- water as required
- Wash and soak raw rice 2hours
- Finely grind the rice in a mixer with very low amount of water
- Rice mixture pour into a large container like steel or aluminum container. The container should have enough place to accommodate the fermented batter
- Heat a small pan and add some rice flour and water, cook nicely and make smooth paste like porridge . (maav).( It’s provide more softness to vatteppam)
- Coarsely grind the grated coconut and make soft and smooth consistency
- Add coconut paste and rice paste (maav) to the rice batter and mix well
- Heat pan and melt grated jaggery with low amount of water.once it melted ,strain and remove impurities from the jaggery.. let it keep cool for some time.
- Add the jaggerysyrup , cumin seeds, cardomom powder, rasins to the batter and blend well.
- Cover the lid and keep it for fermentation for about 6 to 8 hours
- Take a steamer and add enough water to steam cook
- Grease the round pan with little amount of ghee.
- Pour the batter and fill till 1/4 portion of the pan and keep some cashew nuts and rasins on top of the batter.
- Pan keep in the steamer and cook for 25 to 30 mins
- Remove pan from steamer and let allow to cool some time.
- Cut into desired shape and serve