kumbilappam is an authentic snack food of kerala.it is traditionally preparing with rice and grated coconut where dough prepared by mixing jackfruit flesh paste with grated coconut and jaggery along with rice flour.This mixture is wrapped and steamed in fresh edana leaves (Malabathrum).The ‘edana’ leaves have a special favour and aroma that make this snack unique.
- Raw rice 3 cup
- Riped Jackfruit paste 2 cup
- Grated coconut 1 cup
- Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp
- Jaggery 1 cup
- Cumin seeds
- Edana Ela as required
- Salt 1 pinch
- Wash and soak raw rice in water about rice.
- Finely grind the raw rice in a mixer with low content of water.
- Roast rice flour in pan with medium heat and make it dry
- Remove seeds from the jackfruit bulb and cook it in presser cooker about 3 whistles.once its ready let it keep for cool some time.
- Blend the cooked jackfruit flesh in mixer and make.smooth paste.
- Heat a pan and melt the jagerry with low amount of water.once it’s melted remove impurities from the jaggery.
- Add grated coconut , jaggery syrup, jackfruit paste , cardamom powder, cummin seeds and salt to rice flour .
- Nicely combain together everything and make smooth dough .
- Wash and the edana leaves.
- Take each leaf and fold it to cone shape and pin it with help of a coconut leaf stick or toothpicks.
- Fill the dough mixture to each Edana leaf moulds.
- Wrapped cakes keep in steamer and cook for 20 to 30 mins
- Once its ready remove from heat and open the lid for cooling.
- Serve with tea or coffee.