Kalleppam is a popular traditional Christian breakfast in Kerala.it is a kerala style pancke made with fermented rice and coconut batter. The traditional way toddy( kallu) is used to fermenting the batter.It can also be made using yeast .
- Raw rice 2cup
- Grated coconut 1 cup
- Toddy 1/4 glass or yeast 1/4tsp
- Shallots 4no
- Cumin 1/4 tsp
- Garlic 2 clove
- Boiled rice 4 tsp
- Sugar to taste
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Wash and soak raw rice in water about 3 hours
- Grind the raw rice to smooth paste by adding water
- Rice paste pour into a large container. The container should have enough place to accommodate the fermented batter
- Coursley grind the grated coconut and shallots , boiled rice(it give softness to the kalleppam),cumin seeds and garlic.
- Coconut paste add to the rice batter and mix well.
- Add sugar , salt to the batter and mix well.
- Add toddy or yeast to the batter .mix everything nicely and let it keep for fermentation process about 6-7 hours.
- Heat a pan and apply little oil on top
- Pour the batter to pan with using help of a laddle.dont spread the batter. Since it will spread by itself.
- Cook the both sides .
- Once get golden brown colour. Remove from pan.
- The soft and puffy kallappam serve with your choice non veg curry.